Shopping for a new arrival? What to get a new baby and their parents can be a bit of a conundrum. We are overwhelmed with options in shops and online and it’s hard to know what will actually be useful and enjoyed.
Well look no further… we’ve asked around our parent friends and come up with a list of our top practical, thoughtful presents.
- Sustenance – this one is unanimous and an unspoken law. Always take food when you are visiting a new baby (or just drop it at the door and sneak away!) A meal that can be easily frozen, baking or their favourite chocolate are all excellent options. There are plenty of delicious and nutritious ready meals you can pick up at a deli or supermarket if you don’t feel like a whizz in the kitchen and consider calling ahead for a coffee order too, this family is tired!!
- Books – books make such a lovely present and they are a gift that keeps on giving. There are so many beautiful children’s books to choose from, board books for babies are the best! Slightly different but still a book – a baby book for the parents to write messages to their child or record milestones and memories is also very a special present.
- Remember the big brothers and sisters – if there are older siblings in the family, they are probably finding making room for the new baby a biiiit of an adjustment so bringing something to make them feel important is a nice touch. Something that will keep them busy for a little while (think stickers, activity books, puzzles and games) is great as this will buy the busy parents a bit of breathing room. It might be a nice idea to suggest taking them on a special outing to give Mum a break and give them some one-on-one attention.
- Beautiful Baby clothing... to grow into. Everyone appreciates some gorgeous additions to their new baby’s wardrobe (might we suggest Benmore?!) As sizing varies and parents usually stock up on new-born sized garments, it’s a good idea to get something one or two sizes up. Babies are unable to regulate their body temperatures so clothing that can breathe made from natural fibres such as wool or cotton are best – stay away from synthetics.
- Something for Mum – no one deserves to be spoiled more than a new Mum. Think a lovely body oil, lotion or face mask to allow her a brief moment of pampering, her favourite magazine, a good book, some comfy pyjamas or a massage voucher (and promise of babysitting) for later on.
There are plenty of other options we know but here you have the definitive, approved by new parents list of new baby gifts to delight. we hope this gives you a little bit of inspiration!
Click here to shop our beautiful range of heirloom knitwear now.